Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Recipes In/Recipes Out

Every week, I collect a bunch of articles and recipies from the NYT food section Some I print out, some I clip from the web, some I cut and paste into Word files. The problem is the same as with the rest of my life-- organization. Keeping them in a Word or web clipping subdirectory on my computer (work of home, not that I surf during business hours, ahem) means out of sight, out of mind. Printouts just mean chaos. I already lost last week's great artice on okra. I'm from Virginia (but both parents are Northeners) but I love regional cooking, and good okra recipes are hard to come by. To get someone to eat okra, you have to beg them try, or prepare it carfully to avoid the slime for which it is infamous

Any organizing ideas?

2 Comments:

Blogger JadeMarie said...

Harlan...can you say CD Burner?
A great tool to have around. You can burn your recipes right onto a CD and have them forever...unless you lose them like cell phones!
Another thing you might try is recipe software. You can do a web search and find a few free programs; but, most are shareware. Your local Best Buy has newer software. I use MasterCook (an oldie but goodie). MealMaster is a freeware program that is quite nifty too.
Also, find yourself a nice little online bulletin board and post there. I started doing this and now I know where a lot of my recipes are without doing a recipe program search on my computer.

My family is from Buffalo, NY and we never had okra or fried green tomatoes! Even the way we had Chicken and Dumplings was different than the Southern style!
Once I was introduced to Southern cooking, I was hooked!

Good luck in your recipe adventures!
~Cathy~

"If we are what we eat,
with all the genetically modified and imitation foods we now eat,
what the heck are we?" --unknown

August 24, 2004 at 9:11 PM  
Blogger PeaceBang said...

Well, I'm an old-fashioned girl. I clip recipes a lot and throw them in a file, and periodically I put the ones I like into top-loading plastic sleeves and then into a loose-leaf binder. I sort of organize them by subject: appetizers, entrees, meats, legumes, desserts, etc.

I love being able to sit at the table before a dinner party and flip through the book. I'm trying not to rely on my computer for everything.

September 18, 2005 at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home