Saturday, August 14, 2004

Good blogging in a nutshell-- note to self.

Many thanks to Keith Robinson for his sharing thoughts on the Good Blog:

A successful blog (or blogger) is…
Well written. Good content will make or break your blog. Period. This it the #1 thing that makes a blog successful in my book.
Frequently updated. Unless you’re a guru of some sort you really need to stay on top of it. This can be a real challenge.
Consistent. This is kind of a combination of the first two. I like sites that are able to maintain quality and frequency overtime.
Open. I like to read people who are honest and willing to talk about tough issues in a free and open way.
Responsive. Those who respond to feedback and try to adapt to the wants and needs of their audience get high marks from me.
Well designed. Yes, I do judge a blog by its design. It’s not the most important thing, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t matter at all.
Aware of its audience. If you don’t know your audience it’ll show.
Varied in topic. I feel there are lots of people who would disagree with this, but I like sites that change the subject every once in awhile.
Personal. I tend to enjoy a blog with a bit of a personality. I want to “get to know”, to a certain degree, the person(s) behind the site. Tone and style have a lot to do with this.
Thick skinned. With any successful site comes nay-sayers, trolls, pedants and spammers.
Honest. Readers are smart and they can smell bullshit.
Accountable. Mistakes are inevitable and there are times when it’s best to fess up and admit where you’re wrong.
Funny. I like a blog that can make me laugh on occasion.


In the old days, I would have clipped this passage from the newspaper, posted it to my bulletin board and mailed it to a few people with the attribution scrawled across the top. Things change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home