Monday, August 16, 2004

Thoughtful reflections on blogging by Keith Robinson

More from Keith on successful blogging:

A Successful Blog Makes…
Friends. I tend to look at my readers as friends and I think many others do as well. I’ve also made quite a few offline pals via my blog. Who doesn’t need more friends?
Industry contacts. Similar to friends, these are people who can help you further your career.
Knowledge. I can’t tell you how much my blog has helped me learn. I can ask questions and discuss things I otherwise wound have never had the opportunity to talk about with people I’d have never been able to talk to.
Money. I don’t personally make much, but there is evidence out there of people making a decent living from their blog. Good content should be worth something.
History. I use my blog to chronicle things I’ve done, lessons learned and experiences shared. It’s a mini-history of a sort.
Opportunity. My blog has put in me in some opportune places I’d have never seen without it. By getting your name and content out there you open yourself to all kinds of opportunity.
Stress. It’s not all good, although I like to begin with the positive. A successful blog can be very stressful and time consuming.
Jobs. Similar to opportunity as successful blog can open the door to work opportunities. It can be a great extension of a resume or online portfolio. A blog can be a great way to land new clients.
Community. One of the reasons why I work so hard at my site is because I have a passion for the Web and I love to talk with others who share that passion. It connects me to a community I care about.
Personal pride. It just feels good to create something lasting and put effort into something you believe in.
Professional development. If you run a professional or industry blog you can’t help but learn things and hone skills that will help you professionally.
Anything you want. A blog can about, and for, anything at all. People try to nail it down at times, but in my mind it can be whatever you wish it to be and therefore you can choose what you get out of it.



I quoted Keith here rather than just linking to his site because I want to read his pointers every time I view my blog. Early in the life of "This Is Really Important" I want to record how I learned to be a good blogger.
He also has a great entry on creating an "about the blogger" page.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josie Ann said...

But how to you get people to comment?

This is what I want to know.

http://humor_me.blogspot.com/

August 16, 2004 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Harlan said...

Thanks for posting the first comment on my site! I guess that you get attention for your blog from etting lots of links so you bubble up to the top of a google search? Any ideas out there? I want to have a mellow blog, with just a few comments, and none contentious.

August 20, 2004 at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home